It's normal it happens to everybody don't worry too much about it but try to keep it clean and dry is the best thing to prevent the bacteria build up and the smell!
I think its not normal, its very like that you have an infection, You need to clean it frequently when you have shower and after that, you need to make it dry to reduce the development of bacteria and odor.
I have the same problem right now and yes I did smell my finger because it was wet. I had the same problem a few years ago and I use peroxide on it and it went away. Size has nothing to do with it stay cool and smell what you want too.